Personal injury lawyers can help you receive compensation when you are injured due to the behavior of another person or entity.
- Personal injury attorneys handle various civil cases, including medical malpractice, car accidents, and slip and falls.
- You should hire a personal injury lawyer if your case involves a severe injury that requires significant medical care.
When to Hire a Personal Injury Lawyer
If you are injured due to the negligence of another party, you may need the services of a competent personal injury lawyer. Even if the situation seems straightforward, personal injury cases can be complex, and mistakes can cost you thousands of dollars. Here are some tips for finding an attorney who can help you protect your rights.
What Does a Personal Injury Lawyer Do?
A personal injury lawyer is an attorney who focuses on civil cases. This type of litigator represents physically or psychologically harmed people due to the actions or negligence of another person or entity. The other party might be an individual, a company, or have another legal identity. This area of the law is called tort law, and it has two main goals. The first is to make the victim whole again to the greatest extent possible. The second is to discourage other people from behaving recklessly and causing a similar injury to anyone else.
What type of cases do personal injury attorneys take?
A personal injury attorney can be helpful in any case where one party suffers harm from the actions or negligence of another. Here are a few of the most common kinds of personal injury cases:
- Car accidents often lead to personal injury cases. Impaired or distracted driving leads people to lose focus on the road and causes accidents. When this behavior causes a crash in which someone is hurt or killed, the injured party can sue the negligent party.
- Medical malpractice cases are those where a patient is injured by inappropriate treatment at the hands of a professional. This type of personal injury case may involve treatment that worsens the patient’s condition or treatment that doesn’t meet the generally accepted standard of care. Failure to diagnose a patient’s condition correctly may also lead to a medical malpractice personal injury case.
- Slip and falls often result in personal injury cases. Property owners are responsible for keeping their facilities safe for others. Suppose the owner allows people to travel across the property when unsafe and a visitor is injured. In that case, the injured party may be able to sue for personal injury.
When should you hire a personal injury attorney?
You should hire a personal injury attorney if your personal injury case involves:
- A significant injury requiring immediate or ongoing medical care, such as hospitalization, rehabilitative therapies, medications, or in-home care.
- An injury or death caused by the actions or negligence of another as demonstrated by evidentiary standards of fault.
- An insurance company is contacting you and asking you to sign something or answer questions about your injuries. Insurance companies may try to trick you into making statements that damage your case.
- An insurance company refuses to pay or refuses to pay a reasonable amount.
How can a personal injury lawyer help you?
Most personal injury cases involve an insurance company that insures the negligent party. For example, in a personal injury medical malpractice case, the professional will have malpractice insurance. The insurance company will have a team of competent and experienced lawyers working on their side. If you are involved in a personal injury case, you need a capable attorney on your side as well. Contact Hayhurst Law when you need help in the Morgantown, West Virginia area, and let us fight for you.
Common Types of Medical Malpractice ClaimsJuly 9th, 2018By Hayhurst LawMedical malpractice claims stem from negligence...
How to Properly Handle and Avoid Roadway IncidentsAugust 13, 2018By Hayhurst Law One of the most dangerous places in...
Hurt on the Job? Follow These 5 Important StepsMay 8th, 2018By Hayhurst LawSuffering a workplace injury can be just as...